Create a Data Backup Solution that Works for You

May 16, 2009 Labels:

I have had more data to manage in the last 5 years then I have had in the previous 15 years. I'm sure you have also had a rather increase in the amount of data that is currently being stored on your PC. For most of us, the largest space eaters on our computers are digital photos. The problem with digital photos, is that unless you have made copies, you can't get them back if they are deleted.

If you would like to keep your digital photos save for many years, then you have to start thinking about a data backup solution. A data backup solution is not a carved-in-stone template, but rather a method of protecting your data in a way that works for you.

The important thing with backing up data is to make multiple copies of the same file. This way if the original file is destroyed, and you then noticed that your backup is corrupt, you can then go to a second backup, which hopefully is still good.

On that note, I'll discuss my data backup solution.

  1. First I copy all my data to an external hard drive. This hard drive is always connected to my computer so the data is always accessible.
  2. Next, I backup the data that is stored on the external hard drive to an online backup service. The online backup service runs an application in the background that will automatically backup the data stored in specific locations on the external hard drive.
  3. I also burn two DVD copies of the data. I then take the DVDs to two different offsite locations. This provides protection in case something happens to my home. If something did happen, I would lose the external hard drive, but the DVD discs would be safe and ready to use for restoring the data.

In the future I will probably be looking at USB flash drives since they can hold much more data, and are coming down in price. I am also aware that flash drives have a life span of about 10 years, and that they could only be written to a set number of times. I'm not concerned with either scenario because I would probably update the flash drive within 10 years, and I will only write the files to the drive once.

While I have outlined my data backup solution, it is up to you to create your own. Create one that works for you and provides multiple copies of your data.

0 comments:

Post a Comment